Monday, April 20, 2009

The Nixon Library



Last Saturday I went to a nursing seminar. It was held at the Richard Nixon library in Yorba Linda. Now I was never a Nixon fan, but I've never been to a presidential library before either, so I was curious.










We ate in the ballroom and toured "Army One," the helicopter version of "Airforce One." It was put into service by JFK and served 4 Presidents. Somehow Nixon ended up with it.
This is the house Nixon was born in. The doctor came to the house to deliver him. His dad built this house from a kit. Pretty nice for a kit house! It was about 1000 square feet including the second story which consisted of one bedroom with just enough room for 2 beds touching.

The tiny master bedroom where Nixon was born. His mother was a college graduate and his dad dropped out of grammer school. What a mismatch. The picture frames over the bed were handmade by the future president himself!
This is the table that Nixon learned his debating skills with his 4 brothers and his dad.
They had an ice box. Mom and Aunt Dot always talk about their ice box.
Nixon and his wife are buried on the property. I didn't know that. I thought the Presidents all end up in the Arlington Cemetary.
The Presidential Limo.
All in all, it was worth the visit.

3 comments:

  1. That was interesting. Was there anything about Watergate at the library?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I would love to visit that place! It looks so interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It had much more than I expected for a library.

    ReplyDelete