Saturday, January 3, 2009

Beauty in my own backyard

I went out to the backyard. It was cold and gray. I sat there with a cup of coffee while Tucker played. There was a shower of yellow leaves falling. It looked like it was raining leaves. Tucker pranced around and I realized there is so much beauty in my own backyard. I see it so often it's easy to take it for granted. I ran and got my camera. I see the world a little differently through the camera lens. I looked at my backyard from angles I don't usually focus on. Although this first shot is right out my kitchen window and I do appreciate it daily.
I love the contrasts of the plants in the yard. The older couple who owned the house before me did a lot in the backyard I was told by a neighbor when I first moved in. The older gentleman actually died in the backyard which he loved so much. If you believe in ghosts, there is a benevolent ghost in my backyard.
It's hard to see in this shot, but this is the last of the pomegranites hanging like big red Christmas bulbs on the trees with the yellow leaves in the center of the picture. This is also the view from my kitchen window and I really enjoy those red orbs every autumn.

The last rose of the year. When we first moved into this house, Matthew was about 12 and quite upset to be moving from his beloved first home. He had had a rose garden in our previous house and we decided to plant a rose garden in our new house. This is the only rose we managed to plant. The soil in Claremont is mostly rocks. It took all day and even help from his dad to get this one rose planted. It's pretty special. I can see it right out my kitchen window also.

This is a hidden part of the yard. Those green stalks grow firey orange flowers every summer. They are always a surprise and a delight.
This big old tree keeps my house so cool every summer. It also costs a small fortune to trim.
I really do not like birds of paradise. OK, usually I hate birds of paradise. But this morning, even the birds are pretty.
Yes, there is a lot of beauty in my own backyard.
Tucker has to be right beside me at all times. Here he is wedged beside me in my chair as I post this blog. His bed, on the floor right beside the chair is too far away. I think I forgot what it's like having a dog. Are they all this needy?

5 comments:

  1. you do have a gorgeous backyard! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I loved the stories of the plants! And seeing all of the CA plant life made me a little homesick! We have nothing but bare branches this time of year. I miss So Cals, fall in January!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, do you get the eat the pomegranites? I love your descriptions...glad you so enjoy MOST of the plants:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dorothy. Yes, I eat the pomegranites. I give them away too. Tim, Melanie, and Joseph love them. So do the people at work. I was afraid to take them to work because they split this year. People at work said that's when they are the best. They are really sweet and the seeds are soft enough to eat. A bit of a mess though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does that all happen without much attention, or do have to do much tending to your backyard. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete